Thursday, May 30, 2013

Up in the air...again

After a good night's sleep in a real (and really comfortable!) bed and grabbing our complimentary breakfast at the hotel, it was time to board the shuttle to take us back to the Johannesburg airport for our last flight before arriving in Pietermaritzburg.

So, after checking our bags, Heidi and I sat at our terminal, surprised that at gate E10 there were only about 20 seats...how small was this plane going to be?!  We sat and read our digital books as we waited...but naturally, I had to keep things exciting.  At 10:45, I sat bolt upright and looked at Heidi slightly horrified and said, "Oh my gosh, did we ever check out of our hotel?"  Leave it to me...in our hurry to get to the shuttle, we strolled right past the desk, forgetting to actually check out.  So, I dug for the phone number, Heidi grabbed her cell phone, and we called.  Luckily, there was no harm done. (We will be staying at this hotel one more time, and you can bet that I will NOT be doing that again.)

Finally, it was time to board our Turboprop airplane, which was indeed as small as it sounds.  Fr. Robb was not kidding when he said we would be taking a 'puddle jumper'...)  It was small, seating one on the left and two on the right, leaving room in between for a small aisle.  Thankfully, I am not claustrophobic, or it would have been terrible.  (Actually, I was pretty excited for this flight.  Not only was it going to be only one hour, but the smaller plane made me fondly remember the times that my grandpa had flown me and the time that I had even flown a plane myself.  This long journey from Boston to Pietermaritzburg was made a lot easier by the fact that I love flying so much.)  After a rather loud journey right next to the giant propeller, we arrive at the Pietermaritzburg Airport...or at least that's  what they called it.  Actually, it was basically a landing strip amid a field, and not much more...I'm pretty sure I have seen larger driveways...  But, at last, we were here.

No comments: