Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Two Week Check-In!

It has been two weeks since Heidi and I woke up in the Airport Grand Hotel and hopped on our tiny plane to the tiny Pietermaritzburg Airport and were picked up by Br. Philippe.  Two weeks since we first walked into our room and promptly crashed for the first of many naps there.  Two weeks since we met the people who I know will be a part of me for a long time to come.

I began this journey with very few expectations, only counting on being far out of my comfort zone and probably uncomfortable for a while.  I expected to be doing service, and maybe occasionally exploring town.  Everything I expecting has been met and exceeded by far.

The past few days, including right now, I have been having those completely blessed moments; the moments when I sit back and think, or even say out loud, "Wow, I am so unbelievably blessed."  You see, I expected to meet people here, people I would see a lot and perhaps grow close to.  Well I could not have been more wrong.  I have been thrown into, and been welcomed with open arms, into nothing less than a family.  I have another grandmother in Marie-Chantal.  I have another grandfather in Fr. Pheko.  I have many new aunts and uncles who are always there with a smile and a hug.  And, most significantly, I have 12 older brothers.  I've never had a brother, but now I have a bunch who I know love me as much as I love them.  (Did I mention we've only known each other two weeks?  We're already talking about how much we're going to miss each other...)  In fact, I am writing this just having spent an hour and a half watching our nightly soaps, about 10 of us crammed into the tv room. I could not be more lucky to have met these wonderful guys, and I cannot put into words how much I hope that we stay in touch after we return home, which at this point may be in part kicking and screaming.

In addition to the beautiful people, this country is beautiful.  I have not seen too much of it as it is more vast than I could explore in six months, let alone one, but what I've seen has been breathtaking.  The mountains can be seen on the horizon anywhere you turn in Maritzburg.  The sunsets here are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen.  And I'm obsessed with the trees.  You know, the ones that are flat on top and scream Africa?  If I could take one home with me, I so would...

 These guys!
(I didn't take this, but I'm hoping to get some like this before I leave!)
So that's how I am feeling right now. A bit tired, but completely, completely blessed, and so very thankful to have such a supportive family, to be here in this beautiful country, to have found a home very far away from home, to have found such wonderful people, to have had an experience that has already has changed my life, and that I still have almost three weeks to stay.  :)




No comments: