Friday, May 2, 2014

We meet to part and we part to meet.

I am sitting in the Suites Hall Office at Providence College right now, on my last "school night" at PC.  In trying to get all of my papers and homework assignments done before our "Done with College" celebration tomorrow evening, I am myself concentrating less and reflecting more.  This time last year, I had just finalized my arrangements for Heidi's and my trip to South Africa...a world of adventure and unknown.  I was so scared getting on that plane at Logan, leaving my parents at the gate.  And that's kind of funny, because that's how exactly how I felt leaving my parents in the parking lot on move in day when I began here at PC almost 5 years ago. And tonight, I am in the midst of preparing to do the same thing I did then: heading out into the unknown, searching for adventure in new things, and growing up.

Tomorrow is my last day of classes at PC.  Two weeks from Monday, I will be driving away from PC for the last time.  That Monday is the kicker.  One of the hardest things I have ever done was get on our tiny plane (that I'm pretty sure was smaller than the truck Heidi was telling me she drove to high school) to leave Pietermaritzburg.  I had found such a home there and I didn't know if or when I'd be back.  Just under a year later, I am feeling the same thing.  That dreaded Monday, I will be driving away from PC for the last time, and that's not something I'm even sure I'll be able to get myself to do much less want to do.  I'll be driving away from home for good...or at least for now...for a while.  And that is what's getting me the most.  I love this place with my heart and soul, and can't imagine living without it.  But just as I got on that plane to South Africa and then got on that plane to leave, I need to trust that everything I'm feeling and everything that lies ahead is in God's hands, and it's going to be alright.

Now I know I'm getting a little sappy now, but trust me, I'm not sad...yet.  I'm so happy right now, because I still have two weeks to study, spend time with friends, and soak up everything I love about this place.  I'll check back in as this time progresses, because I can't help but know that my service in Africa and everything about it prepared me for this huge step in my life.  So for now, I'm enjoying every moment and taking it all in.  There are so many great things to come (can you say Commencement Week?!) and so many memories left to make.  But even when it does come to an end, I know that it truly isn't the end.  I'll always be a part of this Friar family.  And, as I was taught in South Africa, "we meet to part and part to meet."  It won't be goodbye, just see ya later.  And I know that whatever lies ahead (once I finally have an answer to the dreaded post-graduation plans question!) will be just as special as my last four years and exactly where I'm meant to be.

No comments: